<M50> 525i Persistent miss -> Blown DME -> Running again!

I want to send a sincere thanks to all those who provided advice and
encouragement during the diagnosis and correction of the blown DME on my '91
525i.  Special thanks to Jim Conforti, Stephen Rowe, John Ward, and Nick
Glantzis.  I figure the digest just saved me $700.  Now where is that digest
contribution address?

The following is a summary of the details, for those who are interested.  One
morning the 525i cranks as usual, but with a persistent miss at all RPMs.
Next day I sent a note to the digest.  Obviously one cylinder not firing.  Try
new plugs everyone says.  New NGKs.  No, that didn't do it.  Must be an
ignition coil (or worse).  So I take it to my favorite independent service
guy.  They say that #3 ignition coil exploded, taking the DME driver for that
cylinder with it.  They, after consulting with dealer service guy, say that a
new DME is required and only the dealer can do it.  I called the dealer
service manager.  He says that the DME is coded to be car specific and only a
dealer can do it.  Oh boy!  But, that didn't sound right. From reading the
digest I knew others had changed their DMEs.  So I sent another note to the
digest.  The dealer service manager is either ignorant or a crook everyone
says.  Many of you emailed me directly giving advice on which DMEs worked and
where to get them.  After calling all over the country, I found and purchased
a DME from Jason Lyles at Zionsville from a '92 325i.  I also purchased new
ignition coils from Steve D. to replace the remaining original ones on mine
which were described in a '92 TSB as being prone to failure.  Total for plugs,
coils, and DME - $690.  Estimate from dealer - $1400.  It's one of the easiest
service items to perform I've ever done.  It took about 30 minutes.  Now to go
educate that independent service guy.  I believe he's honest, just ignorant as
I was.

Thanks again,
L. Dwayne Johnson
'91 525i (no longer sharked, but running with stock, 6 cyclinder, 189HP)
BMWCCA, NCC