Re: E30 questions (shifter slop)

Jon,
   I'm not sure what you are referring to as a Rubber Shifter Block,
however, before you (or your shop) orders any shifter-related parts for
your car, you should verify what type of shift console you have in that
car.  Sources indicate that your model car (same as mine) should have a
'sheet-metal shift console.'  However, My '86 325es (Build date of 6/86)
actually has an aluminum shift console, which, sources say, should be on
E30 cars from ~1987 onwards.

If you do have the aluminum shift console, what you want to do is pull up
the outer and inner shift boots and have a look at the ball joint where
your shift lever goes through your shift console.  Here you will find a
white nylon retaining cup (or, more likely, what is left of the cup.)
Replacing this cup will significantly reduce shifter slop.

But hey, as long as you're doing that, you may as well replace the shift
lever too and get short, snick-snick shifts in that E-power car.  Go to
http://www.shortshifter.com and ask the good folks at UUC Moterwerks about
buying a kit that's right for you.  At the very least, they got the nylon
cup you'll be looking for.

cheers,
- --thad

Thaddeus Wakefield Batt