Cosmetic spoilers do they work

Rob Levinson responds to Kendrick and Duane:

Kendrick and Duane:

    I forgot who explained it fully (was it Jim C.?), that most spoilers
(especially OE) are cosmetic... however, every spoiler will add at least as
much downforce as it weighs.  ;-)

I would like to add that theoretically a poorly designed spoiler could actually add
LIFT if it is an airfoil in the wrong direction and adds negative downforce (upforce).
Has anyone ever seen that happen? I haven't, but, I guess it is possible. In that
case, the spoiler would indeed be more effective the slower that you went until it
reached maximum effectiveness when stopped.

Marc
1995 M3...spoiled by the car, not by a protuberance on the trunk.