Re: E28 brakes **Rob

 "Chao, Harvey" <harvey.chao@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: E28 Brakes
>
> To measure the actual rotor thickness I'd have to
>have pulled the caliper, and so I haven't actually measured the thickness,
>but I'd estimate that the ridge of unworn rotor at the outer circumference
>of the rotor is probably around 1/16".
>
>This then finally leads me to my question for the digest -- Replacement
>rotor sources, what's recommended for a car that is a commuter car and
>doesn't get driven hard or raced - 98+% of use is as a commute car (so
>brakes HAVE to work in an emergency due the fools rushing around in the
>daily commute with the possibility of a panic stop).  There are no
>indications that the current rotors are warped, just worn.  I am planning
on
>stock rotors, not special, modified, heat treated, slotted, cross drilled
>etc. Would appreciate constructive inputs on experiences you folk may have
had.

    First of all, 1/16" rotor wear isn't really bad enough to change the
rotors especially if they are unwarped and the car is driven as you said,
not hard for commuting.

    If you really want to replace the rotors (which certainly couldn't hurt
in any case), the best choices are either ATE (OEM- not the slotted
"PowerDisc"), about $50 each from various suppliers, or Balo if you can find
them (Steve D'Gerolamo may have them, www.ultimategarage.com).

    I have managed to warp several pairs of E28 stock-size rotors, both the
"unknowns" that came on both of the 535i that I have owned and two pairs of
ATE.  Quite simply, the stock size is not adequate for the 110mph down to
40mph decelerations.  I will admit to using them a little harder than most
E28 drivers... ;-)

    My solution (full description on request) was upgrading to larger E32
735i/750iL brakes with the Balo rotors.  They bolt right on (NO modification
of anything at all) and are amazing... and so far completely unwarpable (I
have tried!).

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo

www.shortshifter.com