E28 Rear End Whine

The 533i has suddenly developed a high loud whine somewhere in the rear
of the car. The whine is there both low and high speed. With clutch in
the whine remains. Seemed to come on at the end of a 150 mile trip.
Would it more likely be a center driveline joint or front and rear u
joints? Wheel bearing? Any simple tests to eliminate one or the other?
Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences before my nonBMW mechanic
lays me away next week. Any u joints better than others? Any nonBMW
joints that are interchangable. Here in the wilds of Montana BMW parts
all have to be ordered 3-5 day wait?
Thanks as always for the wealth of knowledge and experience of the
group.
Don Bulman