E30 Removing Factory Stereo Head Unit

Chris Baisley Wrote:
I am going to remove my 89 325i's head unit in the next few days.  I have
pulled it out to have a look (easy with the pent-key release bolts, except
for the pent part) and there is something called a 'security bolt' on the
back that has two brown wires fixed underneath it.

Can anyone tell me what this 'security bolt' is for?  It doesn't appear to
be terribly removable, so I'll probably have to cut the brown wires to
remove the unit.  Will this be a problem?  Should I splice them back
together?  Will cutting them cause me to be instantly vapourized?

Rick Writes:
If your unit is anything like my unit,a 1990 BMW 325I Head Unit(cassette,
am/fm/weather band Receiver/ CD Ready) with Blaupunkt amp in the trunk.
The 2 Brown wires were grounded to the rear of the unit with an unusual
looking bolt(The head of that bolt is nearly 2 inches long).
That bolt will come out. I used pliers. The 2 brown wires are locked to the
bolt with a lock washer. I used a mini flat head screw driver to open the
washer and pliers to screw it off the bolt. Put the 2 brown wires on the
back of your new Unit. My new unit has a post to bolt the 2 brown(ground)
wires to.
Rick Benjamin
1990 325I