Re: HOT E28

>Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 05:38:16 PDT
>From: "Tony Lin" <ilovehoodi@domain.elided>
>Subject: HOT E28
>
>I've posted problems about internal heat in my 87 535is before, but I've
>discovered more sources of internal heat lately.  Usually after driving
>for about 10 minutes (or 5 minutes on highway), the steering column
>becomes extremely heated, so hot that my knees can feel the heat.  The
>panels around it are fine, but the steering column itself is really hot.
>Another source of heat is the fan that turns on when the AC is on.  This
>is the fan that's below the temperature controls and behind the ashtray.
<snip>
>Tony
>
>87 535is 132k
>JC, K&N, Bilstein HD
Tony,

There are two plastic plugs on the firewall just above the steering
column that may have fallen out. When that happens, the hot air from your
engine comes rushing in. I recommend ordering them from the dealer they
were $ .43 each and worth it if you wear shorts or sandals.

Also when you put them in, cover them with duct tape for a while to
ensure they stay put.

Philip
'87 535is