<E39> Re: E39 sunroof wiring for Valentine One install

Bruce Mitchell asks: <snip>I'm trying to help someone install a V1 into a
'98 540i.  I usually tap into the sunroof's switched hot line but the E39's
color codes are quite different than my E36.  Can anyone experienced with
the E39 tell me which wires to tap into?<snip>

I cannot tell you offhand which wires one should tie into for the V1 but
maybe this will be of some help.  I hardwired my V1 by soldering directly to
the "circuit board" in the map light assembly:

1. Remove the map light assembly by grabbing the right or left edge and
pulling straight down.  Guaranteed not to damage anything.
2. Remove the clear plastic lens cover from the assembly by gently pulling
the ears located on either end of the body outward a smidgen.
3. Route the red wire from the V1 power adapter (the black cylindrical puppy
with black and red wires and RJ-11 phone jack) through one of the numerous
holes in the back of the body and solder to the copper "socket" that holds
one of the map lights in place.  This spot (either lamp) is unswitched +12V
battery.
4. Hold the assembly such that the buttons are along the bottom and the map
lights are across the top.  Along the front edge of the circuit board, and
slightly to the left of the *left* LED (glows reddish orange with the
headlights on) is an exposed length of copper.  It is approximately 1/8"
wide and 3/8" long.  Solder the adapter's black wire here.  This node is the
low side switched ground.

If you follow this installation, your V1 will be successfully powered by the
E39's timed, ignition-switched accessory power.  The V1 will remain on for
18-20 minutes after the car is turned off and will wake up when ever there
is activity (such as unlocking the car with the remote).

FWIW I mounted my V1 to the driver's side visor along the far right edge.  A
passenger visor mount was too far away and was difficult to watch without
removing my eyes from the road.  Good Luck!

P.S.  If anybody has figured out how to remove the rear speakers from the
deck, please let me know.  TIA!

P.S.S.  I reserve the right to arbitrarily favor soldering over the 3M speed
spades, but if you like 'em, knock yourself out!

Watching my Ps, Qs, and winmail.dats....

Ray Vacha
97 E39 540i 6 Speed "ZEIT"
BMW CCA, NMA
Northern Ohio Chapter