Re: e to i conversion

Horst-

>I want to convert my '85 EURO eta engine (CR 11:1) with some parts to i
>specifications.
>Therefore I will use a comlete '86 325i including all electronics (ECU) for
>upgrade.
>What of the following will give me the best performance?
>
>- simply swap the heads (will the CR go down to 10:1?, I read something of
>different combustion
>   chambers 37cc for eta and 42cc for i)
>- use the eta head and install the i cam and drill the necessary oil holes
>for cam bearings?
>- which intake manifold should I use (eta for low rpm torque?)
>- which injectors should I use (I think the eta injectors have more flow
>rate)

Okay, you're going to have some major engine management problems until you
emap your ECU.  While all these things that change the operating parameters
of the engine are fine and dandy when the emissions are in closed loop
mode, when you ask for the power, the engine will swap to open loop.  Then
it will dump fuel at the rate prescribed by the eta fuel map, which will
*kill* all possible power boost you might have gotten.  Switching in
anotter CPU really won't solve the probelm either, as you need an ECU tuned
to your _exact_ car.  After you make your mods, take the car to an ECU
tuner and then you'll see *real* power.

Don't know much about euro-spec cars, so I won't claim to know the
differences between cams, injectors, etc.  I just know the basic
thermodynamic principles of engines and somewhat about the Mototronic
system.  Best of luck to your project!

Kenn Sebesta
http://www.euromajic.com