<E30> re: Steering Rack (putting off the inevitable)

Thaddeus Wakefield Batt sez
>His suggestion sounded much easier, and he didn't seem to think that
>ATF in the boots would wreck the tie rod joints.  He also thought that
>disconnecting the PS was not a good idea at all:
>He:  "It'll be hard to turn."
>Me:  "That's okay, I drove a Ford F250 with the PS disconnected for 3
>years."

it is *not* hard to turn. Ok, it is a lot harder than with the power
steering working, but compared to any small car without power steering
it is no different.

My girlfriend drives my car every day (commutes) and has no problem
without power steering. It took about 1 week to adjust and after that
No Problem!

>He:  "It really won't feel the same on the highway at all - it'll feel
>loose."
>Me:  "Oh, that's not so good.  I'll have to think about it."

no no no no no!
it will feel *awesome* *good* *tight* *wonderful*

I went from an E21 320i to my E30 325i and thought that the power steering
in the 325i was *way* overassisted. I got used to it but now that I have
no more power steering I am not sorry!

I've done a couple of driving schools and autocrosses since the demise
of the PS and it is *great* ! way more road feel.. you have much more
feel of when the tires start to understeer.. much easier to probe
the limits of adhesion without power steering

>So, anyone got an opinion on ATF conditioner in the PS system?  Could it
>possibly carry me through 6 Months or so?

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i

End of bmw-digest V9 #54