<WOB> What's With SportsCar

> I thought I heard the SportsCar race over the weekend had
> a total of 16 cars (including GT3, GT2, GT1 and WSC!).
> What's with the decreasing turnout? I know the PTG M3
> kicks some butt, but what's the point if you're not racing
> anyone?

> Has anyone spoken with Tom Milner recently and asked him
> what's up? Is SportsCar doomed? I'm gettin' worried that
> the series is history and I'll have one less opportunity
> to watch some road racing.

It's a LONG story/soap opera (much too long to go into here), but the
SportsCar/USRRC schism is hastening the decline/demise of sports car racing
in the US.  Ego, philosphy, and money and are the prime ingredients.  Keep
in mind that sports car racing was already in a fragile state before the
split.  But unlike Indycar, at least the two sides are talking.

I would tend to agree about the slightly hollow tint of PTG's success --
they need some better competition or a new challenge.  The men-among-boys
routine is growing tiresome.  I read somewhere that Team Rafinelli is
looking to set up shop in CA.  Could it be that PTG won't get to run the
BMW WSC program here in the US?

my 0.02
Herman