Re: What's With SportsCar / PTG M3?

Greg,

I believe there is some truth in what your saying when it comes to GT3,
however, I think the primary problem with US sports car racing is the
presence (and resulting "fight") of two sanctioning bodies (SportsCar,
USRRC) instead of a unified one like the IMSA (and even SportsCar) of
old.  I don't think a "fear of PTG" had anything to do with only one GT1
and two or three WSC teams showing up at the Mosport race.

When USRRC got into the mix and tried to push another, almost identical,
series because of a dislike of Andy Evan and some of his ideas for the
future, sports car racing took a big dive downhill.  Now, both series
are scrapping for events, participants, and fans.  Teams can't afford
(time or money wise) to go to the full schedule of both series
especially when subtle rule differences require costly changes from
series to series.  As a result, the fields at most events are
significantly diluted.  The major events like Daytona and Sebring here
in Florida were basically unaffected (even though USRRC had Daytona and
SportsCar had Sebring) because they are big enough events to attract all
the teams.  It's the smaller events that have suffered.

There have been several articles in Autoweek about the squabble between
the the two series and they both realize that if they don't find a way
to unify by next year, sports car racing in the US may die. I've read
that Tom Milner and Don Panoz are two of the primary names involved in
the negotiations to "save sports car racing in the US".  Let's all hope
they're successful and deliver us a bigger and better unified series for
next year.

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3

>Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:56:41 -0700
>Subject: Re: What's With SportsCar / PTG M3?
>From: "Greg Koenig" <gregk@domain.elided>
>To: BMW Digest <bmw-digest@domain.elided>
>
>Time for me to get flamed hardcore, but hey, this is how I feel.
>
>In my opinion, the whole series is going to hell because of the BMW PTG
>team.   When one takes a good look at there competition, you are
looking at
>Porsches and other cars raced by weekend warriors who are not in the
game
>for the money, hold real jobs most of the time and have little to no
factory
>support behind them.  PTG, on the other hand, has a few million bucks
behind
>them, a whole team of professional race mechanics, drivers who are the
cream
>of the crop (probably looking for rides in the top level of motorsports
very
>soon) and full factory support.  Umm, I don't think that such is really
all
>that fair a set of competition.   There closest rival is the Schumacher
>(sp?) Porsche team and if you look at there setup, they are simply dirt
>broke when compared to the PTG team.
>I appreciate what BMW has done to get the whole PTG thing going, but if
they
>really wanted to do it properly, I think they would have started in GT2
of
>even GT1.  Yes, they sucked in there first year, but it was a brand new
car
>and once they got the ball rolling, watching them race is sort of like
>watching the Harlem GlobeTrotters play against those other guys they
travel
>with.
>I do not know what, if any, series they could compete in that would
allow
>them to be a match for the competition, the PTG M3s strike me as a
tough car
>to match up with some of the other competition series out there.
>Unfortunately, when you get one team who simply runs away year after
year,
>it is tough keeping the lesser teams in the running.  Look at what
Mercedes
>did with the International Touring Cars.  These C280s were incredible.
They