<Tires> re: Opinions on Dunlop D60A2's please...

Aaron Bohnen wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am looking into some 15" wheels for my E28 - they're the flattish-looking
>15" ers from the E32 735i. They have reasonably decent looking (at least as
>far as treadwear goes) 225/60/15 Dunlop D60A2 tires on them.
>
>What's the news on this tire? I have this subconscious inkling that they
>are NOT very well regarded, but can't remember details. Can anyone refresh
>my memory or provide some more informative tidbits?

My experience with them has been on Saabs, in which case they were a
dramatic improvement over the Michelin MXV4s I had previously been running.

On the other hand, the D60 is a pretty sleepy tire compared to the D40,
which I am currently running on my '92 525i; the D40s are near silent and
stick like glue.  The D60 is supposed to be a better rain tire (worked fine
on the Saab), but since it hasn't really rained much since I put on the
D40s a couple of months ago, I can't comment on that.

Bottom line?  The D60 is a decent "compromise" tire for decent treadwear
and safe handling, but I wouldn't really classify it as a high performance
tire.

- -Knute
'92 525i D40s/Dinan suspension/Sharked

End of bmw-digest V9 #48