E28 & 6-series brake light mods (long but worthwhile)

Dear E-28 and 6-series folk:

Sometime ago, I recommended that everyone get and read and do the brake
light modification that was published in the December 1994 Roundel. I
got several requests for more information, but not having a copy of the
information in my computer or access to a scanner, I simply mailed xerox
copies to people (how primitive). Then Tom Jarlock came riding out of
the mist and saved the day by scanning the information for me. The
following is the introduction I wrote for the Tejas Chapter newsletter,
followed by the text of the December 1994 letter (courtesy of Tom
Jarlock). BTW, one side effect of the original posting was that I got to
hear from lots of E-28 people. I am still interested in collecting E-28
folks e-mail addresses for some unknown future communication. Thanks.

Glenn Reed
88 535is, 118K

	KEEPING YOUR REAR OUT OF TROUBLE

	One of the reasons I joined BMW CCA after buying my BMW was to get the
Roundel. Although it=92s an excellent magazine, and I read it faithfully
every month, there=92s one problem. Because I drive a 1988 model, very
little of what is written in the magazine is specific to my car.
Fortunately, club members occasionally sell their back issues, and I
recently purchased about six years=92 worth from a fellow club member in
Maine. As I have slowly made my way through them, I=92ve found many
interesting tidbits of information, and enjoyed many amusing stories.
But more importantly, I=92ve found solutions to problems that are specifi=
to my car, problems that I don=92t have yet, but that I certainly may hav=
in the future.
	A few days ago, as I was reading through the forty-ninth back issue, I
hit pay dirt. I came across a letter in the =93Technical Correspondence=94
department of the December 1994 issue that I want to share with other
owners of =93middle aged=94 BMWs (i.e.  1980-1991 models). It struck a ne=
rve
because it provides a solution to a problem that many of these cars
have, a problem that was created when the cars were designed, a problem
that affects each one every time it=92s driven. I=92m talking, of course,
about wimpy brake lights.
	The tail light cluster on my 1988 535is is pretty large overall. The
turn signals are nice and big, the reverse lights are high and easy to
see, and the overall design is attractive. But ever since I bought this
car (and subsequently started paying more attention to others like it on
the road) I have been amazed and slightly disturbed by the tiny, wimpy
brake lights. The thought goes something like, =93They may be small, but
they sure are low.=94 I know, the cars has the high-mount third brake
light on the package shelf, but I still wasn=92t satisfied. Until now.
	I won=92t go into the actual solution, since it=92s very well presented =
in
the accompanying letter. I will say that I made the modification in
about thirty minutes at a total cost of less than $20, and that it works
exactly as the author of the letter claims it will. Anyone who wants to
try it on an E-28 car is welcome to call me if they have questions. The
only thing I did differently than the author was that I used Radio Shack
parallel wire connectors instead of soldering the new wires. I also
referred to the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual to verify which
wires to tap into. I encourage all owners of affected cars to make this
modification, or to have their mechanic do it for them. There=92s just no
downside to it and it could keep your rear out of trouble. Drive safely!
=09
The following from Dec. 94 Roundel:

Brake Light Mods

I have often been tailgated by someone driving an
oversized vehicle capable of squishing my prized
BMW or worse yet. someone in a car that fits the
description, "no insurance. no license, no assets,
judgment proof." Since I cannot always avoid these
situations, the second-best solution would be to give
them adequate warning that I am stopping or about
to stop Unfortunately. the stop lights on my 8-series are not
nearly as good as the brakes. Given the value of the
car, they are a joke Our 5-series car has somewhat
better stop lights but they also need some major
improvement. My solution was to make the
European fog lights also function as brake lights.
there are two additional high-intensity light positions
behind red lenses in the taillight assemblies that are
completely unused in the VS-version cars Using
these as brake lights will double the illumination that
appears when you hit the brake pedal. The following
is applicable to the 5-series and o-series cars. The
3-series and 7-series are probably similar

For the 5-series cars. purchase two additional bulb
sockets as used for the brake lights. Remove the rear
trunk liner panel. In the vacant light position. remove
the three-pointed plastic tab that blocks this hole. A
new 1156 bulb and the new socket can be installed
just like the other lights. The six-pronged electrical
connector has one vacant spot. Unplug it and slip
an uninsulated female spade connector with a Short
piece of wire attached into the connector plug.
oriented identically to the other connectors. It will

snap into place. Carefully remove a portion of the
insulation from the brake light wire near the
connector and solder the added wire to the brake
light wire. To complete the installation, tape the
connection to restore the insulation.   Plug the
connector plug into the taillight assembly, test the
lights and replace the trunk liner.
For the B-series cars, our Munich designers have
given us a more difficult task. The bulb contacts are
integral with the plastic housing and seem to be
unique to these cars. The vacant position has no
contacts and no means of holding a bulb. The
contacts are unavailable as parts. I attempted to
duplicate the contacts with a metal bulb socket
without success. Without giving up, I carefully
soldered a wire to the contact point and another wire
to the side of a new 1156 bulb, then wrapped the
bulb base with electrical tape so that it firmly fits in
the hole from the lens side the hot lead uses a
small alligator clip that attaches to the existing brake
light contact. The bulb base wire needs to be
grounded It is now somewhat inconvenient to
change this bulb. But the added light is well worth
the effort, assuming the bulb ever does burn out.
While the taillight assembly is apart check the
reflective surfaces. I found black paint overspray on
what should have been silver. I am convinced the
car came from the factory this way. further worsening
the brake light situation. Plastic model paint restored
the color. To complete the installation. double-check
the wiring, test the lights, reassemble the taillights
and replace the trunk lining

The additional lights have absolutely no detrimental
effect. The check panel will not tell you if only one
light has burned out. If both lights do fail on one
side. the check panel functions as designed
Checking your own stop lights periodically makes
good sense anyway You will now have either four or
five stop lights for the person behind you to notice.