Crashed Mudstang

>Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:27:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Michael Fennell <mfennell@domain.elided>

>Happened to hear his instructor talking about it later.  HE reported that
>Joe-Racer was starting to heel-toe on downshifts and thought the guy's
>foot may have slipped off the brake "just like mine did in 10 when I was
>driving Duane's car".  Yep, Duane, same instructor.

Yo Mike,

Amazingly enough, when said Instructor's slipped off the pedal of my car
and he got loosy-goosey in # 10 this Spring, he THEN indicated that I
should install a 'BLOCK' of steel/aluminum, etc. into the floor of the car
as a fulcrum point to prevent that. Ahhhhh...YUP! Right-o! Lemme grab this
here hunk o'metal and screw 'er right into the floorpan fer ya....comin'
right up.

Hmmmmmm....in 3 years of driving my M3, I've never had my foot slip off the
brake.  Then again, I'm never overrevved the engine twice in 5 laps through
downshifting (like Instructor) either.

And I suspect that our Mudstang Cobra driver was in way over his head.  He
has always been one of those with lots of pre-session bravvado and has a
hard time keeping the car on the track when trying to run with the BMW's
and the Porsches.  I've always given him a wide berth in prior schools as
he's all over the track and would rather piss himself than give a pass wave.

General Rule of Thumb in Driver's Schools:  Those that strut/ballyhoo/brag
the most pre-session are also the most likely to whump themselves once out
there. It's the quiet guys that go fast....and the ones that say they can't
do all that well that go REALLY FAST.

Duane Collie
Smilin' Vulture Racin'
Team Bubba / UUC /NCC