RE: E30 fan controls

Rick,

The problem is with the blower motor resistors.  I had the same problem
with my E30 318i.  The resistors attach to the blower motor, and are
attached to a single module which can be replaced.  I think that it cost
me around $30 for the part.  The various speed settings on the fan
switch basically put different resistors in series with the blower
motor, thus changing the speed.  The high speed setting doesn't put any
resistor in series with the motor (and that's why high speed is the only
one that's working right now).

To replace it, you'll need to remove the panel on the firewall (in the
engine compartment).  It's held in by four screws, but you'll also have
wiring harnesses attached to the front of it.  It's not too hard to
remove. Once the panel is removed, you'll see the blower motor and the
resistor module (it's brown).  Remove the wires, and replace the module.
It takes more time to gain access to the blower motor than it does to
replace the resistors.

- -rb