SI Reset tool for in-car use... new plans

Hi Ron and everyone,

Thanks to Ron for the post on the Roundel's version of an SI reset
tool. (8' long clip leads with switch on the end - clip leads to
connector, sit in car and hold switch closed until lights go out)

This tool allows the job to be done from inside the car but does not have
any safeguards built in against incorrect hookup.

If you wanted to do the job from inside the car one could very easily use
the template cap that I suggest with a couple of fitting pins on a long
switched set of leads instead of my shorting link.

To make a suitable set of switched leads I'd suggest a momentary contact
switch wired across the end of a piece of lampcord, speaker wire, or even
better - jacketed two-conductor 22 awg or so signal wire. Suitable pins at
the other end for the diagnostic connector. There is minimal current flow
so the gauge of wire is largely unimportant. The switch could be wired into
a film can for convenience, a la the Roundel design. If you were really
getting fancy you could even fabricate a little plug with pins that fit the
diagnostic connector through the template cap. Beware, however, that BMW
pin #61-13-1-376-191 does not fit the 15 pin diagnostic connector. Neither
does BMW pin #61-13-1-376-193.

I have a set of plans for this as well. It is called

"SI reset system new plans.GIF"

and will soon be available at Dale Beuning's images page:

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/images/

best regards to all,

Aaron

Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services