Re: Two Questions

Donald, I have a '92 325iA sedan with 120k on it now. The dust covers were
installed by the previous owner when the car was almost new. The rotors have
never had a problem pertaining to the dust shields (Kleen Wheels in my case
on the stock 15" alloys). I did have all the rear pads/rotors changed about
4-5k ago due to the mileage however. I don't do anything but street driving
with my car and haven't had a problem. It is great not having to clean the
wheels all the time. My dad's '90 750iL with those BBS style wheels get
quite dirty and are a pain to clean. Needless to say, when the car gets a
new set of tires, we will probably invest in a pair for it as well. (Anyone
who has a 750 knows that the brakes don't last that long anyway since we're
talking about a powerful V-12 and a car that weighs 4,000 lbs+) As for a
performance chip, get a Jim Conforti... his chips are without a doubt the
best. Even though my car is an automatic I noticed it was more spirited
after the chip was put in. A good combo for the M50, probably less of an
effect in a heavier E34 than the E36, but still probably worth it. One word
of note, if you do not feel comfortable installing the chip. I highly
recommend you find a good shop to do it for you. The DME is a very expensive
piece of equipment and you DO NOT want to mess it up. Mine had been "BMW
Serviced", and when I went to install the chip myself I cracked the boards
because they had been previously glued back together. (I didn't know this
till after the fact) I finally found a used DME ($200 used, $750 or so new
from the dealer) from a parts place and got my car going again... only after
it sat dead in the driveway for about 10 days though. (I fortunately had
another car at the time so it wasn't as big of a deal as it normally
would've been for most people.) I also have a K&N filter which I recommend.
Although it doesn't boost performance tremendously, it does last forever, is
relatively inexpensive and takes no skill to install. Best of luck!!

Regards,

John

1990 750iL black/black 52k
1992 325iA cashmere/tan 120k