FS: 1988 535i

Good news!!  I've upgraded (bought a 1991 525i), so this means someone can buy
'Helmut', my 1988 535i is for sale.  I've had the car for almost a year and
have put a decent amount of money into it.  It's not perfect but it runs
awesome, an all around great car (if you can get over the red leather!).  The
car is about 10 miles west of Boston, MA and I'd be willing to meet to show or
sell it with in a reasonable distance.  So, here are the details:

1988 535i, Gray w/red leather, 138,000, runs strong, burns no oil, pesky TRX
tires.  I have a set of 16" tires and am looking for a set of 16" rims so they
could go with the car.  Paint is decent..some defects but generally great.  No
rust! Oil changed at regular intervals, antifreeze also changed last December.
Red leather is in decent condition.  I *think* someone had it re-died a while
ago.  I've put Lexol on it; makes it looks great.  New CD head unit (I can
throw in the old stereo if you want it), and more.  I'm asking $5999 in the
Boston Globe but would take something significantly less from a digester.

Things I've thrown money at:
Exhaust has no holes but I hit a snow bank last year and put some kind of hole
in it...the dealer said it was an easy fix with a welder and fixed it (that
was 8 months ago..still sounds/looks great)

New front rotors from Steve D (Bremo I think), and Pagid pads all around (5 k
on them), just had the brake system bled 2,000 miles ago.  Car stops on a
dime.

Some reference sensor that prevented the car from starting...cost $300 to fix
from the stealer.

New floor mats and chrome tail pipe covers from Bavarian autosport.

Rear light retrofit (2 extra brake lights like the European spec..I *think*)

Things that *might* need attention:
1) I had the a/c diagnosed..condensor leaks.  These are a couple hundred from
Bav auto.  I decided it wasn't worth having a/c, so that's where it sits.

2) Cruise control doesn't work...I'm trying to figure out right now why...

3) Steering creaking..  This also was diagnosed from my favorite mechanic.
Said it was NOT a big deal and I could drive the car without fear of the part
failing.  I did buy the two parts from bavarian auto...but again, haven't had
the time to retrofit.

4) Slight shifter slop...I've replaced the plastic cup which took care of 50%
of the slop, I have the rest of the parts but have had no time to get to it.

5) There is a *slight* jutter between 1000 and 1500 rpms.  I guess this is the
infamous universal joint which means a rebuilt driveshaft.  I've had the car
for 15000 miles, hasn't changed.

Call me anytime,
781-788-9945

David Moore