<E30> Quits without warning/89 325IC

Hello to all:
Being a rather new BMW owner 3 months,I was hoping to find an answer to
a weird  problem I have been having with a 89 325IC 98,000 miles,also
owning a 83 Jaguar XJ6 I am used to strange problems, but this one is a
little scary.
The problem is that the engine will suddenly die for no apparent reason.
It has happened while at idle and also while driving at anywhere from 10
to 60 miles per hour.It will immediately restart without any problem,one
time doing about 60 it died then came back on its own in about three
seconds.This was the only time it did that usually all the idiot lights
come on and I have to turn the key to restart.It doesn't happen often
about 10 times in the three months.Other than that it runs very well and
smooth.
If anyone can share some wisdom on how I can test further or what might
be the cause it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks to everyone.Alex
Lynch.(beanhead@domain.elided)