528e

Hey there Beemer-ites,

I'm a new reader of this digest, but have read the
sister alfa digest for several years, and am
considering the purchase of an 88 528e.  Overall
condition of the car seems reasonably good, with
records and a pretty good maintenance log.  Having had
experience with considerable expense repairing the
engine on a 633csi I owned a few years back I am a bit
concerned about what I might be getting into.  The car
has about 200k on it, seems tight, with minimal valve
train noise, suspension feels solid, etc....   the area
of concern is the auto trans.  Fluid smells and looks a
little burned-  shifts solid- but  a little early.  I
read an earlier post where someone   indicated the auto
was a weak link on that particular series.  My 633 was
a manual- so I have not had any direct experience with
Bmer trannys.  This individual seemed to think that
repair by a shop was in the neighborhood of 2-3K.  This
seems a little excessive to me- is it at all accurate?
Assuming all was right in the world (and the tranny)
does anyone have a good feel for what a fair price for
this car might be?  Are there any other real areas of
concern or weaknesses I should be aware of?   Thanks
for any help you might be able to offer.

It's always fun to "Pop a Top"
BS
69 Alfa Spyder
2 other vehicles that really don't merit mention.......