Re: 89 m3 shifting

At 06:18 PM 8/6/98 -0500, Franklin Joseph wrote:
>Hi
>i went to a SCCA meeting last week and one guy there boasted about a
>friend of his who could really shift without using the clutch.
>I know that you can do that at certain RPMs.
>i just want to know if there are any of you out there who has done this
>before.

it's probably not the best of ideas with a street gearbox; it's not
uncommon, though, for drivers using "crash boxes" -- racing transmissions
with straight cut gears and no syncros.

i've shifted without a clutch in my old 1973 Saab 99 when the clutch
hydraulics blew. it's feasible, but really not all that much fun. i had to
shut the motor off at red lights, put the gearbox in first gear, and start
the car when the light turned green.

richard