Advice from the gurus

Hello All -

I am new to the list and not yet a BMW owner.  I have a zillion questions
as to what to buy.  Anyone who has some recommendations I would welcome
them.  I am essentially interested in a car with performance features for
fun driving and potential autox and road racing.  I am a novice at those so
am not sure whether I should splurge on an M3 up front or try something
else with modifications.  I don't know if I will want to continue to do
those things once I get into it.

 I am thinking used not new but wonder what anybody thinks about that.

I have driven a 97 M3 and a 98 323i just for comparison.  There is none.
The M3 just feels better as well it should for the differences in the two.
Is it possible to upgrade a 3 series enough to get close to M3 performance
for less than an M3 purchase?

Any thoughts you have would be welcome.

Rebecca

End of bmw-digest V9 #36