EPA...

Lowell Seaton wrote:
<<
I am hoping that MTBE will be phased out soon.   I learned that MTBE is
really only effective at reducing pollution in older cars without oxygen
sensors and computerized engine management.  That really means just
old carbureted cars.  Virtually every well tuned fuel injected car gets
no
improvement.  So we are paying the price for the few old carbureted
cars left on the roads.

Which, BTW, are the ones not required to pass smog tests (at least in
CA), and also happen to contribute a disproportionate amount to the
air pollution... I wonder why it is not possible to do here what's
been done in other countries: force a phase-out of the big polluters*,
and trust the industry to come up with the best technical means to
attain emission targets... Government has it all wrong once again!

*: if you still want to use your antique, you still can do so, but it
needs to either be tuned appropriately and pass emissions or be
matriculated and used as a collectible - no everyday use.

<<
I hate the smell of MTBE gas and it cuts my gas mileage by 10-15%,
contrary to EPA's own reports of a 1-2% loss in fuel economy.[snip]
Don't flame me! [snip]

I won't flame you, but I'll flame the EPA: your sentence above shows
that the agency is either incompetent or dishonest in its evaluation
of the technical aspects of the problem... So the EPA actually is more
than the simple arm of Congress you picture - it's part of the
problem, and not of the solution... I suggest elimination!

Ergos