<E34>: ASC Hydraulic Unit

I dropped off my 94 540Ia (69k miles) for a new shortblock replacement last
week at
the dealer (Inskip Motors in RI).

I also wanted them to look at a component on the drivers fender wall that
was leaking
brake fluid. I suspected it was a component from the ABS.

They were so intent on repairing my car with no money out of my pocket that
they
simply diagnosed the problem as the ASC hydraulic unit that was just
"seeping".

This is one of those components that must be made with some exotic
material called "irreplacium" since I was quoted about $2100 for the part
and about $500 labor.

The service manager said "lets keep an eye on it, check it again in 3000
miles."

Obviously, parts like this don't fix themselves, so it will have to
replaced.

My question the BMW community is: Has anyone else experienced this
component malfunction? If so, did you face the same cost as was quoted
by my dealer?

I do not subscribe to this list, so I would appreciate direct responses.

Drew Jenkins  drew.jenkins@domain.elided
94 540i
92 300e
86 Vanagon Syncro (for windsurfing)