Re: e-28: Timing Belt Noise

Victor and Lisbeth Trucco wrote:

> I installed a new timing belt in my 1985 528e within the last 2 months.  It
> was a Contitech belt.  After my car warms up the belt seems to be noisy.

We've probably installed a couple hundred of these belts over the years and
never had any problem with the Conti belts.  The warm or cold running of the
engine should not have any affect in this instance.  I really think you have
another problem here or a poorly installed belt.  I've never heard any timing
*belts* make noise before.  I just hate to see you take this car all the way
apart again only to find out you had another part squeaking.  Do you know
anyone that has a scope that you could use to listen to the front of the motor
while it's running to try and determine where the noise is coming from?  In a
pinch, you can use a long screwdriver and put your ear up to the plastic
handle.  That timing belt is a pretty big job... if I were in your shoes, I'd
triple check all my other easier options ;)  Listen close to all your pumps and
compressor... spray some anti squeak on those belts just in case...  Good luck.

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com