Electrical gremlins..Help needed

Hi!
I am new to the list, so I hope I don't make any mistakes here...
I have an 89 5 series that is driving me crazy.  The gauges have a mind of
their own.
When the ignition is first turned on, everything seems normal, but when the
brakes are applied for the first time, everything in the gauge cluster either
goes dead, or goes nutty.  After that, the tach stays at 3000 rpm, no matter
what, the gas gauge and temp are dead, and the readout for the odometer is
blank.  If you apply the brakes, everything seems to start working, as long as
the brakes are on.  I have check thoroughly for bad/loose grounds throughout
the car, bad power connections, and everything else I can think of.  The
connections on the back of the instrument cluster are clean and tight.  Is
there anyone out there who has had this problem before, and knows what I might
try next?  I suspect that the instruments need to go somewhere for repair, but
I am afraid to see what my dealer is going to want to do that.  Any help is
GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
             Tony Tabacchi