re: Alpina wheels on an iX??

Darren,
Nothing would make me happier than if the Alpina wheels were a simple bolt
onto an iX.
IMHO they are one of the most beautiful wheels made.
But I do not believe that a simple bolt on is possible due to the
difference in offset.
The E30 iS has a 30 mm offset, the E30 iX has a 41 mm offset.
That 11 mm difference needs to be resolved.

The clearance issue is with the front calipers.
Make sure than you have brand spanking new front pads on when checking your
clearances.
The iX Registry had a story about a guy who upgraded his alloys, and after
the dealer
replaced his front pads, the car would not roll, as the calipers and alloys
were locked.

A possible fix can be found at BMP Design in Texas.
(US orders call 1-800-648-7278 or FAX 1-800-254-4143)
They sell offset plates that are used between the wheel and rotor.
I think they sell 5/10/15/20 mm spacers.
I would guess that these would require long wheel bolts when using the
spaces.
I do not know if this would negatively affect wheel bearing life, etc.

Maybe other Digesters have has +/- experiences with these spacers.

Offsets for E30:
E30 M3  7x15"   =  30mm
      7.5x16"   =  27mm

E30     6x14"   =  35mm
      6.5x15"   =  30mm
        7x15"   =  24mm

E30iX   6x14"   =  47mm  (steel wheel)
      6.5x14"   =  45mm
        7x15"   =  41mm  (original alloys)
     65x150TD   =  47mm

Regards,
Alan Alfano
alan.alfano@domain.elided

BMW CCA #30492
iX Registry # 214

1988 BMW 325iX
1956 Austin-Healey 100M (2)

>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:42:22 -0400
>From: "Darren Beilstein" <beil@domain.elided>
>Subject: re: Alpina wheels on an ix??
>
>Does anyone know if Alpina wheels fit on an "ix"???  I have a set of
Alpina