SI reset tool information - here's the goods.

Hi everyone,

Well, this SI reset thread has generated a ton of responses - most pointing
me to the FAQ's, and a couple with some more specific information. And I
was busy testing things myself today so here's all the latest...

I got out the multimeter and had a go at the car (E28, 15 pin
connector) today to see what was going on at pin 7, the diagnostic reset
pin in the connector. It stands at just over 5 V with the engine controls
off, and just over 5.1 V with the controls to "run". That is correct, the
system reset pin is 5 volts above ground potential. "Resetting" the SI
lights consists of actually grounding this pin, allowing current to flow
between the SI reset pin and ground. I measured the current flow through a
jumper between the reset pin and ground at 0.34 mA. Basically not much
juice at all.

It seems from all the information that I have received from the FAQ's,
digesters, the Bentley manual, etc. that the reset mechanism is a short
from the diagnostic reset pin 7 (on all models) to ground (pin 1 on 15 pin
connector models, pin 19 on 20 pin connector models).

The connection between the SI reset pin to ground is made for a short
time period (2 to 3 seconds) to reset the oil interval and for a longer
time period (8 to 15 seconds) to reset the service interval indicator.

On 15 pin connectors the engine can be powered off to terminate the
connection time interval. Apparently you may have to remove the jumper
manually with the engine still powered on after the specified duration on
cars with the 20 pin connector.

So where does that leave us?

Well, I think it would not likely be a good idea to apply battery voltage
to the diagnostic pin. Likewise it would not likely be a good idea to
unintentionally apply battery voltage (or any other voltage for that
matter) to the other pins in the connector.

A resistor in the traditional jumper lead would help limit current flow if
an incorrect connection were to be made. Alternately, a diode could be used
if the jumper were made directional. Such a scheme would allow current to
flow only FROM the diagnostic pin to ground, and never any current to flow
the other way (ie: back into the diagnostic pin). A diode would not remove
the risk of applying +5 V from the diagnostic pins to other things,
however, so a resistor in series with it (after it most likely) would be
helpful. More on the specifics of these a little further on below...

In order of preference, then, here are the options for a reset tool:

1. a fixed configuration reset tool a la Peake, BMW, or Bentley in the "BMW
Enthusiasts Companion" book. Bentley makes his out of a 35mm film casing,
but that most likely won't work on the 15 pin connector. I'll try to get a
connector match and report back here on it... If I can get a mating
connector lined up from some supplier I'll be sure to keep the digest
posted.

2. a directional jumper lead with both a diode and a resistor. I'd suggest
a reasonably hefty diode, not because of the admittedly low voltages and
currents, but rather because of the durability issues involved. A suitably
rated diode is very small and very flimsy in physical construction. In my
opinion, more durability is desirable.

My personal version of this tool uses a 600+ Volt 5+ Amp high speed fast
recovery Motorola part (Motorola part number ZP MR 856 9350). I chose this
particular one since I had a couple of extras left over from another
project on my electronics bench and it is a good-sized, durable well-made
part.

I also have a resistor in series with this diode. I suggest a 470 Ohm
resistor which will limit the potential current flow from the reset pin
to any other pin of under 11 mA in case of a misconnection of the tool.
In case of such a misconnection the resistor would be dissipating 0.05 W. I
would however suggest a half-Watt rated resistor, again from a durability
standpoint. The tool could conceivably also be misconnected to the battery
pin and voltage applied to various other components. In this case the max
current flow would be under 30 mA.

Don't forget to label which end goes to which pins... The diode allows
voltage flow FROM pin 7 to ground. If you hook up the directional
jumper wire backwards it won't work at all. I suppose you could just
reverse it and try again... :>

3. A non-directional jumper is my last choice of reset tools. The
paperclip is the worst example of this. I suggest you build the one with
the diode in it!!! But if you don't want to add the diode, in the fixed
configuration tool I would also recommend a resistor. 470 Ohms will limit
the max current to under 30 mA if it is misconnected, although it cannot
protect against you putting back voltage on the service interval reset pin
if wrongly connected.

So the recommended layout for the diode/resistor jumper lead is:

              pin - wire - diode -> resistor - wire - pin

and you put this <-- end onto pin 7. The other goes to ground.

I have a graphic of mine if anyone's interested.

Good luck and keep your eye out for more news on the mating connector...

best luck to all,

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services

End of bmw-digest V9 #32