E39: ASC+T and ABS lamps are lit

Yesterday when driving home from the office, the ASC+T and ABS lamps
suddenly came on for no apparent reason. After some testing I found the
following:
- - When switching on the ignition, the ASC+T, ABS and Brake lamps stay
on,
- - When starting, all lamps are turned off in most cases (sometimes the
ASC+T and ABS lamps continue)
- - Then when using the brake the first time after start, the ABS
activates for no reason,
- - After driving a short while the ASC+T and ABS lamps are both switched
on,

On my way to the office this morning I stopped at the shop and they
checked for any diagnostics messages. There was one saying that there
was something wrong with the rear right ABS sensor and another one about
an ABS relay. The guys at the shop seemed pretty convinced that it was
the sensor so they ordered a new one and asked me to come back in a week
to replace it.

Has anyone experienced the same symptoms? Did a failing sensor cause
them?

Rune