Re: '84 325e On Board Computer thingie problem

>I am very new to the BMW world so PLEASE suffer through my
>extreme lack of knowledge and offer me whatever help you
>can.

The technical stuff on the digest can be very intimidating.
But if you stick with it you'll find it soaks in and soon you'll
be talking E & M numbers like the rest of us sad folk!

>I have a 1984 325e with an in-dash computer display that isn't
>working.  It constantly displays "----UHR", (the dashes are
>flashing,) and I'm a bit unsure as to whats wrong.  Should I
>sell the car and buy a '98 540i or can I fix this thing?

Fear not! It just means the clock hasn't been set. Someone has
disconnected the car's battery and lost the time.

Press the Time button and then the tiny button at the bottom
left with a pen tip. You then use the 1000/100/10/1 buttons to
set the time and either press the tiny button or SET-RES, it's
one of the two. Pressing Time again gives Date and the
procedure is similar, have a wee fiddle!

Might be an idea to "pretend" to want a 540i at the local dealer
and get a friendly techie to explain how things work. You
can NEVER have too many contacts at the local dealer!

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!