<E34> Need info on AC/Heating system - '93 525i

Hi Digesters,
I'm trying to diagnose an AC/heating system that is seemingly possesed
by demons. Sometimes it works perfectly, but most of the time it's
temperature control is all over the place, requiring constant
readjustment to maintain any semblance of stable temperature. Same
symptoms in Heat or AC.
If anybody has, or knows where I can get, more detailed info about this
system than is in the Bentley manual I sure would appreciate it. Of
particular interest would be some sort of truth table which could tell
me what the systems reaction should be to various settings or inputs
from the various sensors. This must be available somewhere, right?
The car is a '93 525i with the simpler "standard" rotary-dial control
system. Not the fully automatic system.

Thanks,
Bob Hazelwood
'93 525i 5-sp, Sharked