Re: Running Rich

Coincidently at the last club meeting in Ottawa I just happened
to mention that the exhaust tip on my '92 318is is always
black .. even after a a fast 500km drive, but fuel consumption and
performance seem to be normal. (JC chipped).

Question is, is this the norm for bmw's?
Maybe the O2 sensors getting lazy?

I remember that with late 60's 327 chevys, a fast "blow the carbon out"
run on the highway would make the exhaust tip a dull white.

Over a year ago I replaced the profile gasket and I noticed carbon
build up on the pistons and head, which I scraped off (~40k-km).

Whats a good way to remove or to prevent carbon build up?
Does a can of Techron work or are there any other recommended products?

thnx
- -Frank Schulz '92 318is