SI reset tool wiring diagram - anyone?

Hi everyone,

I know that the method of resetting your SI lights is well publicized.
In fact, it's below for anyone not up on this little gotcha of owning a
BMW.

However, I'd like to fake up a full-on reset tool. I just don't know if
Peake Research and/or BMW would have the gall to sell us basically a
jumpered multi-pin connector for whatever exorbitant price they charge. In
a way I hope there's more to these devices than that. Maybe a timer, a
surge protector, a coil, a cap, something!

So here's my request: can someone with a Peake or BMW service reset tool
pop the back off of it and have a look inside? If we knew what the circuit
was I'm sure we could all be much more confident. If there's no circuit but
really only a timer of some kind and a jumper then I think we can do that
ourselves by the seat-of-the-pants method. But however you slice it, it'd
be really nice to know what's actually going on in there.

Anyone? anyone willing to pull the back off their Peake or BMW tool?

And for anyone not up on it, here's the SERVICE INTERVAL RESET PROCEDURE:

1. connect pins one and seven of your SI diagnostic connector
2. power engine on but DO NOT START.
3. Wait until oil change lights reset themselves.
4. If resetting service indicator, wait a little longer until it resets.
5. When desired lights have reset, turn off engine.
6. Remove jumpers from pins one and seven.

Ron Stygar uses a 470 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor in line with his jumper so
that if incorrectly connected to hot 12V the max current will be about 30
mA. I agree with this approach. It's good thinking.

So how about that reset tool circuit schematic... Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,

Aaron

p.s. - and intellectual property be damned on this. Anyone who thinks
that Peake Research's or BMW's device's circuit should remain concealed
in the mist is ONLY correct as regards commercial exploitation of those
circuits by competitors. I'm sorry, but we deserve to know how this SI
reset thing really works. You own the car you should have free access to
the information.
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services