wheel cleaning - Rubbermaid "dish mop" and BMW wheel cleaner a p

Hi everyone,

I just washed the car today and cleaned the wheels with a good combination
of products. It was pretty successful in fact and I figured I'd share it.
(No, I'm not bored at home at 11:30 at night with nothing else to do except
reflect on cleaning the wheels of the car...)

Well, anyway - I use the Pagid brake pads which work well but they sure are
dusty - and it's that horrible black sticky dust. Can be tough to keep the
wheels clean - I wanted a quick way to get them clean since I seem to be
doing it every three or four days.

The BMW wheel cleaner (part # 97-00-9-100-204) currently $CDN 5.50 for a
500 mL spray bottle at your friendly neighbourhood dealer works like a hot
damn. They claim it's biodegradeable on the bottle but there is also an
octagonal poison warning as well, so don't get excited about drinking it.
It is reasonably thick greenish blue fluid and sprays easily. DO NOT
INHALE! This stuff may be biodegradeable but it will give you a pretty good
defensive breathing reaction if you sniff it while spraying. That means
your body is giving you fair warning and so am I. DO NOT INHALE. Best is to
hold your breath, spray the wheel in question, exhale while walking on to
the next wheel, inhale, spray, repeat all the way around the car. Takes
about a minute.

Wait a minute - if it's so nasty to breathe won't it wreck my wheels? Well,
your favorite and mine car company says it's recommended for all wheels -
alloy, steel, painted, plastic sculptures (sic), etc. It didn't seem to
have any deleterious effect on my painted TRX alloys. And of course if it
does mischief to your wheels you can take it back and insist on new wheels
:> since it's the recommended BMW part and you have a warranty on it.

I found that the BMW wheel brush kit is a little pricey at $CDN 49.50 (!)
right now, but the "Rubbermaid Dish Mop" is a perfect soft wheel cleaning
tool and comes right in under budget at $CDN 1.49. Much better. This
product is much like a string mop you would use for the floor in your
kitchen, but is plush all the way around and about 3" in diameter. Cleans
the ins and outs of my E28 TRX wheels like a champ and never even threatens
to scratch anything. At this price I bought two - other BMW wheels with
smaller wheel slots might need to have a few strings removed from the mop
to fit.

Anyway, back to the car - after the spraying take a few swipes around the
rims with the Rubbermaid dish mop, a plunge into each of the slots in the
wheel and spray off with the hose. Elapsed time 30 seconds, if that.

Repeat all around the car. Total elapsed time 4 or so minutes. And the
result is great.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share that :>

best regards,

Aaron

p.s. - many thanks to all those with suggestions for getting the 5-spd logo
for the shift knob. A kind soul is sending me a surplus used one.
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services