RE><E36> Another Person with Fuel Gauge Problem

I don't know if the others are experiencing the same problem, but here's
what Andy asked and my response to him:

>Andy wrote:
>>My 93 318is fuel gauge reads dead empty (warning light on and everything)
>>just after I fill the car with gas.  It will remain like that until I burn
>>a few gallons of fuel away and then will return to normal operation for the
>>rest of the tank.  Anyone had similar problems?

My guess is you fill up with the key still turned on.  If that's so, just
turn it off.  A worse problem is when the key is still in the ignition and
the door is open, or part way.  If the key chime bongs for over some
certain period of time it will play hell with the fragile E36 electrical
system and your gauge may never reach full.  There is a TSB dealing with
which fuse to remove to reset such an occurance (#21) but try filling up
without the key in the on position or removed completely.  If you are not
doing any of these things, you may have a bad sending unit, another
not-uncommon problem on the E36.

- -Phil

BTW:  To avoid having the key chime sound with the key in the ignition and
doors open, simply remove the key and put it back in without turning.  But
then, you all already knew that, right?