Re: <E30> Switch for aux fan

> I have a 1987 e-30 325 and I would like to run a separate switch to the aux
> fan.  As I understand it, this set-up would allow me to switch on the fan
> while running the A/C and/or in heavy traffic.  My question is what gauge
> wire should I run?  Also, I am confused as to whether the circuit is 15 or
> 30 amp.  It appears that the more than one fuse covers the high speed fan
> and some are 15 and some are 30 amp.  Finally, I was planning to tie-in the
> switch at the high speed temp sensor - is this a good spot?

The idea is a good one - I have such a switch on my 533i. I set mine up
to feed power to activate the existing relay instead of directly to the
fan. This allows you to use a much smaller guage wire (very little
current) for the switch, and keep the power for the fan flowing through
the fuse. I clipped in right at the relay connector on the side of the
fuse box, and mounted the switch right next to the headlight switch (in
an existing blank plate.) Good luck.
- --
- -AEG

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you.

Encrypted mail preferred: mailto:aeg@domain.elided
PGP public key available at: http://www.pgp.com/keyserver/pks-toplev.cgi