Chips n' Shimmies

>Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 12:24:13 -0400
>From: "Jean F. Welter" <jfw2@domain.elided>
>Subject: <e36> <M3> running rich, and shimmying

>ever since I replaced the chip on my '95 M3 with a JC chip (Turner
>Motorsports) the car seems to be running a tad rich. I must say that it
>runs a lot smoother with the chip, no more hesitation or flat spots. But
>I've watched the interior of the tailpipe gradually darken from the nice
>light brown color it had before the chip.

Jim C.'s chips LEAN the car out - not richen it.  How many miles are on
your car?  That can have a factor (02 Sensor, etc.).  If you are up near
70K miles then there are other things to look at.

>Next problem is a weird shimmy. The car is rock solid up to about 70 mph,
>then there's a mild shake which gets worse with increasing road speed.

Try rebalancing the wheels before you look for anything costly to replace.
Wheels have to periodically be rebalanced.  Surprisingly - not many do this.

Duane Collie
RM3DR1-UUC ///Team Bubba Racing
National Capital Chapter