Re: Is anybody out there?

*Does the BMW digest still exist?  I've tried everything to get back
*on the list after change of servers.  I've sent the authorization
*code about a dozen times.

you will not be able to reply to this directly; please use rwelty@domain.elided
to send me email. i tried to call your sysadmin at the number she left on
my home answering machine, but she has not called back (should i have given
her my 888 number here at work?)

there is an incomplete configuration in the domain name service for the
naval postgraduate school. the sysadmin responsible for domain name service
has neglected to install "reverse" lookup, which allows ip addresses to be
mapped backwards to host names. krusty-motorsports.com and digest.net both
refuse to accept email from such hosts because of a 95% correlation of
these misconfigurations with spamhauses.

here is what you do: send all admin requests through

bmw-digest-request@domain.elided

which now forwards to bmw-digest-request@domain.elided

send postings to the old address,

bmw@domain.elided

which forwards to bmw@domain.elided

beat up on the sysadmins at your site to do their job correctly. any ip
address which is exposed to the open internet should have a mapping for
reverse lookups in the in-addr.arpa space. there are no excuses. if they
don't know how, have them call me @ 888-825-9675. i do this stuff for a
living.

sigh,
   richard