<E24>/<E28> transmission problem/question

Hey gang,
Has anybody with a 635/535 had a problem with an automatic transmission
making a loud clunk sound when placed in reverse?  The problem is very
noticeable if the car sat for a while.  I checked the transmission
mounts and bracket and they appear to be fine( I replaced the mounts
about a year ago).  I haven't checked the center bearing but that too
was replaced about a year ago.  Any ideas?  The car has 100k miles -- I
hope the tranny isn't going out.
BTW, the car is an '88 635Csi wi/electronic tranny.
Thanks,
Jamie