Re: <E30> Power Steering -- Please help.

Mike,  I am copying our previous posts so that the bcg will have the
particulars on this.

Norm G. did the FAQ on the p/s O ring and it is at:

http://web2.airmail.net/grills/b_c_g_FAQ

There will be a subject index to get to this FAQ.

I am not familiar with any connectors in the area where the steering column
meets the front axle--all of the p/s lines will be threaded since this
system is under pressure.  There are a lot of lines, some high pressure,
some low, and leaks do tend to run down hoses, but if the area underneath
where the booster meets the master brake cylinder is wet with ATF at all,
it is most likely the O ring in the booster.

BTW, I think NormG also has a 325 so he may be able to tell you if the p/s
O ring set up is the same.  (Norm, sorry if I'm wrong on the new one, but I
can't remember anything after 28--actually 24 without having to think hard
about it).

Gene M.

Mike,

I'm not sure if your 325 has the same p/s setup as my E24 and E28 but I
think it's close.  Feel underneath the area where the brake booster
connects to the brake master cylinder and see if you have fresh ATF fluid
there.  There is an O ring in the brake booster that will leak, usually
don't get drips on the floor until it's really gone but it will leak quite
a bit and tends to drip down the brake lines and get blown along the bottom
of the car where it isn't that noticeable.

There is an FAQ on the big coupe group page on replacing this O ring.  I
did it several months ago on my 87 E28.

Gene M.

<your original post>