<E12> unlocking door

Recently the drivers side rear door on our
1980 528i decided to stop opening.

This car has power locks, and when you lock/unlock
the car from the drivers door all the lock buttons
go up and down and all the other doors lock/unlock
correctly.

This rear door won't open from the inside or the
outside, it's internal lock is stuck.

I have the door halfway torn apart from the inside of
the car, but can't get the interior panel the rest of
the way off, two screws are blocked by the door jam.

I'm working on the mechanism from under the bottom
of the door panel, which I have pulled partway off.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Please CC my email address so I can get the response
without waiting for the digest to come out.

Dale Beuning
'95 M3
'88 325is
'80 528i