Re: totally clueless

Poindexter wrote:

>I looked at my R1s after last Sunday's autocross and noticed that there are
two spots on one tire where "scabs" about 1/2" x 1" or so have come off of
the tire, leaving a bit of cord exposed (probably from a bit of
over-driving+inadequate initial heat cycle).    These spots are about 2/3 of
the way in to the inner sidewall, so they're not in the center of the high
wear region, but I'm concerned about whether I need to pitch this tire.

I remember from my tennis days as a kid that there's a product called "Shoe
Goo" that can be used to patch tennis shoe soles which take pretty high
temps and friction, though I doubt it would work in a molten environment
like an R1 tread.

I've got at least 4-5/32 left on the rest of the tires, so it'd be a bit of
a waste to throw them away, but I'd rather be safe than have a blowout at
speed. (I'm headed up to Watkins Glen in Sept.)<

This is a joke right?  SHOE GOO?  MOLTEN ENVIRONMENT?

I mean, this really sounds like something Duane would pull.... :-)

But just in case ....

sure, just put some shoe goo on it, go run Watkins Glen, and let Darwin's
evolution theory do the rest.

ps: inadequate heat cycling had nothing to do with it, as I personally have
never heard of, or seen, such a problem.  More likely totally uninformed &
undisciplined operator error.  Maybe if you spent as much time becoming as
informed as you are trying to sound this wouldn't have happened.

mark A. sipe

End of bmw-digest V9 #9