R Compound Tires

Bubba Chip Sez:

>Anyway, I might agree with you that R1s will get some novices into trouble,
>but since it's hard as hell to get a set, I'd suggest getting some Hokey
>Mamas (that's Yokohoma for those new to the digest). I run R1s (got them
>secondhand but new and never mounted, still had the stickers on 'em), but
>have heard that there are some Hokey's that are streetable but really good
>on the track. From what I've seen, I don't think they'd be as dangerous for
>a novice.

Yo Chip,

If you are talking about AO32R Yokes, then make no mistake, this is a REAL
track tire. It is not a 'halfway' or semi-track tire. Big Mistake to use
these or any R compound tire on the street. No R Compound tire will get hot
enough on the street to make it stick, they are all noisy (especially the
A032R), they stink in the rain due to limited tread depth vs. a real street
tire, they don't last long, and they all throw up ALL the dirt and gravel
on the road into your fender wells, so you are constantly hearing
tick-a-taka-ticka-tacka in the wheel wells.

Anyone running 'R' Compounds as a daily driver tire is feeding their ego
and that's 'bout it.  And there are some on here that will argue the point,
but you never see that group at the track.

The AO32R is WAY BETTER than the R1 on a wet track.  The hot licks for a
rain tire.
The R1 is SLIGHTY BETTER than the Yoke on a dry track. Almost equal - a
tick slower.
The R1 is FAR BETTER than the Yoke at Autocross. Yoke does not have the
sharp cornering.
The Yoke handles better and is less harsh (but noiser) than the R1 on the
way to the track.

If it ain't an "R" Compound tire - 'tis just a street tire. All "R"
Compound tires corner at much higher loads and break away more dramatically
than street tires.  I hate to see anyone buy the Yokes based on an
assumption they are more manageable than R1's.  Having owned (4) sets of
R1's and (1) set of the Yokes, I can tell you the Yokes are less fussy with
air pressure settings, and are less prone to doing nasty things to
themselves when overdriven, but when they get hot, they grab just fine and
can spit a ham-handed novice into the armco just as nicely as an R1.

AVS Intermediate is the street tire that Yokohama makes that 'can' run
semi-OK at the track....but it's not as good as a Pilot, just cheaper.

Duane Collie
RM3DR1-UUC ///Team Bubba Racing
National Capital Chapter