Front End Clunking

I am in the process of looking at a 90 525 with 150K on it. I have test
drove and will probably have inspected when I get real serious. However
when doing the drive I noticed that when going over small bumps a clunk was
coming from the font end on the side where the wheel passed over the bump.
This seems to happen on both sides. Going over a big bump at a higher speed
did not produce the clunk ! The shocks seem to be basically OK, a little
soft but no leaks. Any ideas on what is causing this ?  Ball joints, worn
bushings, control arms etc or shocks. Will this cost a bundle to correct ?

Ideas anyone ?
Many Thanks

Bill.yakamovich@domain.elided