Re: Buying from an out-of town dealership! **Rob

"Juan Nolasco" <Juan_Nolasco%WPP_GROUP@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: Buying from an out-of town dealership!
>
>I'm considering buying a new E46; and the best quote I got was from a
>dealer out-of town (which about 20 miles from my house).
>
>I am weighting the pros and cons.
>Pros:  a better price
>Cons:  a different treatment from my local dealer, once I bring the car for
>maintenance, since I bought it somewhere else
>               no  car loaner from the local dealer
>               ect.

        Your fears are justified.  I know that if I were a dealer, I'd be
pissed as hell if you shopped me for a price and then bought elsewhere and
*still* expected "service with a smile".  A dealership is a business first
and your "friend" sencond.

        Do the really smart thing; go back to your local dealer (and go back
to the original salesperson that helped you, there time is important to
them) and say straight out, "Look, I got a price of $XX,XXX from this other
dealer but I'd prefer to buy locally.  Match the price and you've got a
sale."  Don't be afraid to give a salesperson/dealership a second chance at
a price... they want to make a sale, not just quote numbers.

- - Rob Levinson  (too much sales experience)
'85 535i Turbo