[E36] Dashlights out!! HELP!!

Hi Guys...
          Whilst I was driving just now. My dashlights started to flicker
after I turned the fogs on. There was also very light clouds of smoke that
appeared behind the steering wheel.  Soon after, the lights went dead.  No
dash & console lights, no foglights, no license plate lights.  The
headlights, indicators and brake lights still work.  What could be wrong??!!
I hate my Bimmer!!  Please help, thanks in advance!!! You may reply
privately to my email.

Brandon Ong
Singapore
ong2jr@domain.elided