cmon guys anyone help me!! e28

ok if u guys just help me with this ill never ask another question...
ok...

my problem.....
the mpg on the instrument cluster does not seem to work... when i push the
gas
itll go to 0... it will never be on like 20 ..25...10etc.. always 0 when i
push the gas.... then if i get to  a high enough speed(it seems like 40mph
and
above) and i let go of the gas.. itlll flick to 40.. never like 35 ..
36..38..20 ..15..etc.. so the needle is always pointing at 0 or 40..

is this normal... when i floor it isnt supposed to go to like 0 and when i
like pusht the gas a little itll be around 30 or somethingand and when im
just
cruisen it should be like around 25?..?
im not sure but......... what im trying to say is it does not really
represent
how much gas im using.. itll either always be at 0 when i push the gas ..
even
a litlle and when i let go around 40 mph itll goto 40 never in between..
anyone know how to fix it?  is there some kinda sensor that might be loose??
next..

my obc does not diplay my avg mph avg mpg and max speed..
when i push the avg mph while driving around itll always stay at 0
and when ever i push the mpg button itll always say 5.9
and whenever i push the max speed button itll always be a dashed line..
nothing happens to  any of the above when i push reset ..they just stay the
same except when i push reset for the mpg button itll goto 0 i think... i
also
think the above might have to do  with some sensor.. maybe the speed
sensor??
i dunno.. i dunno that much about cars so if someone could help me by
describing how to fix it i would really super duper times 50 appreciate
it...

thanx kevin
1988 528e 115K

p.s. what octane gas should i use?

Kevin,

Here's some thoughts on your problems.

First, I know on my '91 325IC the instrument cluster in all electronic, so
I'm assuming yours is also.  That being the case, make sure all your ground
connects are tight (remember, brown is ground on Bimmers!) The next step is
to check the MPG gauge itself.... sounds like it's sticking.  You didn't
mention if the rest of your instruments were all working.

My 325 has the same problem with the OBC!!!! I'm down to replacing the code
plug in the back of the unit (about $35 from Bavauto).  Since the OBC gets
raw signals from the instrument cluster, and all my instruments work
correctly, I've decided it isn't converting the signals correctly. I'm told
this could be caused by jump starting or a failing charging system (I just
replaced the failing alternator!).

One thing I can tell you based on my similar OBC problem, the MPG gauge in
the cluster has nothing to do with the OBC MPG function, since my gauge
works properly.

Hope that helps!

Brian