Torque and horsepressure relationship

The 5250 constant used to convert convert torque to horse pressure results from
the units we use. You can well imagine that some funny business is needed to get
from horsepower to foot-pounds and rpm. The metric system is much nicer for
doing stuff like this.

horsepower is energy or work per unit time. For engineering wing nuts like me,
power is the time derivative of energy.

work or energy is equal to force times distance or torque times angular
displacement. Angular displacement can be how many degrees the rear wheel or
crank shaft rotates depending on where you make the measurement.

angular displacement per unit time can be expressed as rpm. For wing-nuts
angular velocity (rpm) is the time derivative of angular displacment.

So power equals torque times angular velocity (rpms) times a constant to match
up the units.

I hope this is useful

John Pease
74 Tii