[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> air leaks or Carbon built-ups?

Hi, Chris,

Your question of air leaks and pinging draws my attention.  Have you gotten
any responses from the fellow-BMW fans?

My 88 E30 325i has the similar pinging problems on high load.  It also emits
an excessive sibilant hum from time to time that makes the car feel
restricted subjectively (or even objectively?).  This is getting more
noticeable after I installed a Dinan chip.

I have been using Chevron super unleaded for over 3 years now, and the high
octane fuel really does not help the pinging that much when the car is
driven in a hot day unless full throttles in low gears.  Excessive carbon
built-ups in the engine combustion chambers or air leaks?

I always keep the engine RPMs above 3000.

David
88 325i, Dinan chip, K & N air filter, Dinan stage 1 suspension setup,
113,000 miles.
Chris asked:

Does anyone have a good way of finding where air could be leaking in
the induction system downstream of the AFM ?

I seem to remember someone mentioning using a propane torch (*without*
a flame :) to bleed propane around the intake system and seeing if the
idle speeds up..

Also, anybody ever adjust the AFM on a motronic 1.1 car ? As in adjust
it to run a little richer ?

My problem is recently at WOT I'm getting some ping that I didn't used
to have and suspect an air leak.. JimC chip, E30 325i, Motronic 1.1.
Sunoco 94 gas.. ping at WOT up above 4500 rpm only noticed in 4th or
5th gears

thanks for any help
chris pawlowicz
'89 325i - 235k km